Careers: Corporate Counsel
Builders Capital provides a comprehensive range of loan products to builders, developers, and investors across the country, we strive to be the builders most valued relationship. Our creative loan products and rates, agile in-house servicing team, and innovative technology help set us apart from others. Builders Capital is the leading private equity construction lender, and our financing for acquisition, development, and construction funds quality housing in a market facing a 5 million home deficit.
The ideal Corporate Counsel candidate is experienced, hard-working, detail-oriented, proactive, and committed to providing outstanding service every day.
The primary function of this role is to work with the loan production and servicing teams as well as company clients and third parties to address underwriting, title insurance and loan documentation issues.
This role will also participate in various transactional due diligence and research jurisdiction-specific issues and opportunities in coordination with outside counsel.
Day to Day
- Work with the business teams and our customers to identify risks and develop solutions in the negotiation and documentation process, including through preparing subordination and other intercreditor agreements, and customization of loan documents.
- Review title insurance commitments and apply innovation problem-solving skills and practical business judgment to resolve title encumbrance risks, including through title insurance and applicable endorsements.
- Analyze borrower and affiliate-party ownership and authority structures and provide related counsel to the underwriting and loan origination teams.
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to work under time-sensitive deadlines, creating efficiencies for addressing a high volume of loan originations.
- Proactively address potential loss exposure issues to ensure recourse is protected and initiated against the borrower and other parties involved.
- Research and stablish multistate licensing, lending, and default guidance in coordination with outside counsel.
- Assist in developing and implementing documentation for new and existing loan products and processes aimed at improving business efficiency and customer satisfaction.
- Prepare demand letters, notices of default, title claims, and drafts of initial pleadings as appropriate.
- Engage proactively with various interested parties, including borrowers, attorneys, capital partners and title insurers.
- Respond promptly to and diligently follow-up on requests from internal employees, outside counsel, and appointed receivers.
- J.D. and membership in good standing in at least one state bar.
- 3+ years legal experience (including experience with a highly regarded law firm or prominent commercial lender).
- Strong background in construction and real estate finance (with experience representing lenders preferred).
- Experience with title encumbrance and insurance issues, including familiarity with commercial lender title endorsements.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to consistently produce high quality work-product and demonstrate high attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a cross-functional team.
- Applicable experience necessary to understand not only the legal issues but also the business considerations relevant to our industry.
- Process-oriented with the ability and desire to identify, develop and implement efficiencies and improvements.
- Health insurance – Builders Capital pays 100% of employee medical insurance premiums.
- Competitive wages
- Paid time off – 3 weeks a year
- Paid holidays – 10 paid holidays
- Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) – Builders Capital puts $125 dollars a month into an HRA account for employee
Pay Range for this position is $125,000 – $150,000 salary commensurate with experience and education.
This position is based in the Builders Capital corporate office in Puyallup, WA with hybrid option.
This job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job; however, there may be additional duties, responsibilities, and qualifications for this job.
Construction Loan Services II LLC (Builders Capital) and its affiliates are Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employers and welcome all qualified applicants. This is a full-time, exempt position. The job description contained herein is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position, which may change without notice.